Bending acrylic/plexiglass is what you need to do if you are building a acrylic box or acrylic sign holder for an object. When you heat acrylic to 160 degrees Celsius, it becomes soft and can be bent easily. There are different methods for doing this, and each helps you to easily bend acrylic. In this blog, we’ve gathered together some essential tips and tricks for bending acrylic sheet.
Tools You Need for Bending Acrylic Sheet
Bending acrylic sheet requires a range of tools and equipment.
Bending Acrylic with acrylic bender
- Measure and Cut: Determine the size you need and cut the acrylic sheet using a Dremel saw or razor knife. It’s okay to cut it a bit larger as heating can slightly change its shape.
- Mark the Bend: Use a Chinagraph pencil or permanent marker to mark where you want the bend. Ensure the line matches your desired shape precisely.
- Create a Jig: Build a wooden jig to the shape and size you need. Use a circular or table saw and glue or nails for assembly.
- Heat the Acrylic: Place the acrylic sheet on the strip heater with the marked line above the heating element. Flip it every 30-60 seconds to avoid damage. Be cautious and wear gloves.
- Bend and Cool: Remove the heated acrylic, bend it to match the jig’s angle, and place it in the jig to cool. Use a flat piece of wood or clamps to hold it in place. Don’t remove it until it’s cooled and retains the shape.
Bending Acrylic with a Heat Gun
A Heat gun can be used to bend acrylic sheet as following steps:
- Measure and Plan: Determine the size and shape you want for your bent acrylic. Use tools like rulers, squares, or compasses for accurate measurements. Mark these dimensions on the acrylic sheet with a China graph pencil or permanent marker.
- Create a Jig: Set the acrylic between two pieces of scrap wood, with one piece shaped as a jig to match your desired bend. You can use a circular or table saw to cut the jig. Ensure the jig’s height and angle match your calculations.
- Bending with the Heat Gun: Slowly heat the acrylic with a heat gun, maintaining even pressure with a spare piece of scrap wood. Move the heat gun side-to-side while gently pushing the acrylic back and down. Be patient as the acrylic begins to bend, ensuring it doesn’t crack.
- Additional Bends: Repeat the heating process if you have more bends to make. Allow each bend to cool completely before moving on to the next one.
Bending Acrylic with a Hair Dryer at home
When you lack a Heat gun, alternative tools such as a hairdryer, can be used for acrylic bending. the process is very similar with using heat gun, but It’s essential to note that these methods make the acrylic sheet flexible over a broader area.
Tips for Bending Acrylic with a Hair dryer:
- Begin by removing the protective film from both sides of the acrylic panel before heating.
- When using a hairdryer, maintain a distance of at least 5cm between the outflow opening and the acrylic surface.
- Move the hairdryer slowly and gently along the intended fold line, ensuring even heating throughout.
- Periodically, lightly pull on the acrylic sheet’s edge to assess its flexibility.
- For achieving the straightest possible fold, consider placing a batten along the fold line while bending the acrylic.
Bending Acrylic with a oven
Depending on the application you have in mind, you can also soften and bend Acrylic using a convection oven. Place the Acrylic sheet in the oven Preheat your convection oven to the appropriate temperature, typically around 160-180°C (320-356°F) based on the acrylic sheet’s thickness, leave the acrylic sheet for 4 to 5 minutes.
Handy tips if you are going to bend with a convection oven
- Safety First: Always wear heat-resistant gloves and eye protection when working with heated acrylic to ensure your safety.
- Precise Planning: Measure and mark your dimensions accurately before heating the acrylic to avoid mistakes in your project.
- Custom Jig: Create a wooden jig that matches the desired bend angle and shape. A well-crafted jig ensures accuracy during the bending process.
- Careful Monitoring: Keep a close eye on the acrylic as it heats in the oven. Avoid overheating, which can lead to unwanted distortion.
- Cooling Time: Allow the bent acrylic to cool completely in its new shape before handling it. This prevents warping and ensures a stable result.
Tips for bending acrylic sheet
Bending acrylic Materials
clear and Colored Acrylic Rod Acrylic rods are solid cylinders made of acrylic which is a lightweight plastic material that has excellent impact strength, widely used in both indoor and outdoor applications . Acrylic rods are available in a range of sizes and diameters in both clear and colored finishes and also in different shapes such…
Acrylic sheets As one of the best Acrylic sheets manufacturer in China , Kusla Plastic offer high-quality, durable, and versatile acrylic sheets for a wide range of applications, such as signage, display, furniture, construction, and more. Whether you need clear, colored, mirrored, or specialty acrylic sheets, we have the right product for you at a…
Clear Round and Square Acrylic Tube Acrylic tube is rigid, lightweight, and hollow. Acrylic tubes are available in a range of diameters and wall thicknesses in clear and coloured finishes. Acrylic plastic tubes are strong yet lightweight and suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications. Clear Acrylic tube Outer Diameter: 3mm – 1500mmThickness:0.5mm – 20mmLength: 1m or…
Bending acrylic isn’t overly complex, but it does demand patience. It can be a bit tiring, so don’t forget to take breaks as needed. Acrylic is a versatile material that can bring your creative ideas to life. If you require assistance with acrylic bending, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. KUSLA is a leading supplier of acrylic tubes,acrylic sheets, acrylic rods, we provide acrylic plastic bending service as your requirement, contact us for more information.