Black Acrylic sheet
Our black opaque acrylic sheets will generally block transmission of light and may faintly glow when backlit contingent on the color and thickness. Objects cannot be seen through an opaque acrylic sheet. Great for photography and many other creative projects. Like all acrylics, this sheet can be easily laser cut, formed and fabricated.
|Thickness||Dimensions||Color Code||Type||MFG METHOD|
Typical Properties Of Textured acrylic sheet
|Specific gravity (73°F)||D792||1.19|
|Maximum continuous service temperature in air||°F||160|
|Heat deflection temperature @ 264 psi||°F||D648||195|
|Izod impact (notched)||ft-lbs/in of notch||D256||0.4|
|Water absorption (immersion 24 hours)||%||D570||0.2|
|Coefficient of linear thermal expansion||in/in/°Fx10-5||D696||4|
why KUSLA Plastic black Acrylic Sheet
- Premium quality, durable black acrylic sheets
- Deep black color for an elegant aesthetic
- Versatile applications: signage, displays, interiors, and more
- Excellent light transmission for vibrant effects
- UV-resistant for indoor and outdoor use
- Impact-resistant and long-lasting
- Easy to cut, shape, and fabricate
- Low maintenance and easy to clean
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Cost-effective alternative to other materials
Frequently Asked Questions About Black Acrylic sheet
A black acrylic sheet is a type of plastic sheet that is composed of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), commonly known as acrylic. It is specifically manufactured to have a deep black color throughout the material. Acrylic is a synthetic material derived from acrylic acid and is known for its exceptional clarity, durability, and versatility. It offers a lightweight and cost-effective alternative to materials like glass. Black acrylic sheets are made by incorporating black pigments into the acrylic resin during the manufacturing process, resulting in a consistent and uniform black color. The sheets are available in various thicknesses and sizes, making them suitable for a wide range of applications, including signage, displays, architectural features, and more.
Yes, the black color of the acrylic sheet is consistent throughout the material. Black acrylic sheets are specifically manufactured to have a uniform and consistent black color from the surface to the core. This means that even if the sheet is cut, shaped, or engraved, the black color remains the same without any visible variations. The consistent color allows for a seamless and professional appearance in applications where a solid black aesthetic is desired. Whether it’s a small piece or a large sheet, the black color remains consistent throughout, ensuring a visually appealing and uniform look for your projects.
Yes, black acrylic sheets can be used for outdoor applications. Acrylic is known for its excellent weatherability and durability, and black acrylic sheets are no exception. However, it’s important to note that prolonged exposure to direct sunlight and harsh weather conditions can cause some color fading or slight changes in appearance over time. To mitigate this, it is recommended to use black acrylic sheets with UV-resistant properties. UV-resistant black acrylic sheets are specially formulated to withstand the damaging effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation, helping to maintain their color and integrity even when exposed to outdoor environments. These UV-resistant black acrylic sheets provide enhanced protection against color fading, yellowing, or degradation due to UV exposure, making them suitable for various outdoor applications such as signage, outdoor displays, architectural features, and more.
The light transmission of black acrylic is significantly lower compared to clear acrylic. Clear acrylic sheets are known for their excellent light transmission properties, allowing light to pass through with minimal obstruction. On the other hand, black acrylic sheets are specifically designed to be opaque and absorb light, resulting in very limited light transmission.
Due to its opaque nature, black acrylic sheets block most of the light, making them ideal for applications where transparency is not required or desired. They are often used to create visual effects, such as silhouettes or contrast in backlit signage or displays.
It’s important to note that while black acrylic sheets do not allow significant light transmission, they can still exhibit some level of translucency depending on the thickness and quality of the material. Thinner black acrylic sheets may allow a small amount of light to diffuse through, creating a subtle glow or highlighting certain areas.
If you require high light transmission, clear acrylic sheets would be the preferred choice. However, if you’re looking for a solid, opaque appearance and minimal light transmission, black acrylic sheets are a suitable option.
Black acrylic sheets, like any other acrylic sheet, can be prone to scratching or scuffing if not handled or maintained properly. While acrylic is known for its durability and resistance to impacts, it is still susceptible to surface abrasions if subjected to rough handling or contact with sharp objects.
To minimize the risk of scratching or scuffing on black acrylic sheets, it is recommended to follow these guidelines:
- Handle with care: When handling black acrylic sheets, use clean gloves or handle them with clean hands to avoid leaving fingerprints or smudges on the surface.
- Clean properly: Use a soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloth or sponge along with a mild soap or acrylic cleaner to clean the surface. Avoid using harsh or abrasive cleaners that can scratch the material.
- Avoid rough contact: Prevent direct contact with sharp or abrasive objects that can potentially scratch the surface of the black acrylic sheet. Place a protective layer or padding between the sheet and any rough surfaces during transportation or storage.
- Store carefully: When storing black acrylic sheets, keep them in a clean and dry area, away from sharp objects or rough surfaces that could cause scratches.
- Apply protective film: Consider applying a temporary protective film or masking tape on the surface of the sheet before handling or processing to provide an extra layer of protection against scratches.
By following these guidelines and handling black acrylic sheets with care, you can minimize the risk of scratches or scuffs, ensuring a clean and presentable appearance for your projects.
Yes, black acrylic sheets can be easily cut and shaped to fit specific project requirements. Acrylic is a versatile material that can be manipulated with relative ease compared to other materials like glass.
Here are some common methods for cutting and shaping black acrylic sheets:
- Sawing: Black acrylic sheets can be cut using a fine-toothed saw, such as a table saw, circular saw, or jigsaw. Ensure that the sheet is properly secured and supported during the cutting process to minimize vibrations and achieve clean cuts.
- Laser cutting: Laser cutting is a precise and efficient method for cutting black acrylic sheets. A laser beam is used to melt and vaporize the material along the desired cutting path, resulting in smooth and accurate cuts. This method is particularly suitable for intricate or detailed designs.
- Routing: Routing involves using a router or a CNC machine to trim or shape black acrylic sheets. This method is commonly used for creating beveled edges, curves, or decorative patterns.
- Score and snap: For thinner black acrylic sheets, you can use a scoring tool or a utility knife to score a straight line along the desired cutting path. Once the sheet is scored, apply pressure on both sides of the score line to snap the sheet cleanly along the cut.
- Heat bending: Black acrylic sheets can be heated and bent into desired shapes using a heat source, such as a strip heater or heat gun. This method allows for the creation of curved or angled forms.
It’s important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, when cutting or shaping black acrylic sheets. Additionally, always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations for the specific cutting and shaping techniques suitable for the acrylic sheet thickness and type you are working with.
Yes, black acrylic sheets can be made UV-resistant. UV resistance refers to the ability of a material to withstand the damaging effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. Standard acrylic sheets, including black acrylic sheets, may have some inherent resistance to UV radiation, but prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause gradual color fading or slight changes in appearance over time.
To enhance the UV resistance of black acrylic sheets and ensure their longevity in outdoor applications, it is recommended to use UV-resistant black acrylic sheets. These sheets are specifically formulated with additives or coatings that provide enhanced protection against the harmful effects of UV radiation. UV-resistant black acrylic sheets are designed to maintain their color stability and prevent yellowing or degradation when exposed to outdoor environments.
When selecting black acrylic sheets for outdoor use, be sure to inquire about their UV resistance and choose products specifically labeled or advertised as UV-resistant. This will help ensure that the black acrylic sheets retain their appearance and integrity even with prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Black acrylic sheets offer several advantages over other materials like glass or polycarbonate, depending on the specific requirements of the project. Here’s a comparison between black acrylic sheets, glass, and polycarbonate:
|Features||Black Acrylic Sheets||Glass||Polycarbonate|
|Aesthetics||Solid black color||Transparent with additional treatments for black color||Transparent with additional treatments for black color|
|Weight||Lighter than glass and polycarbonate||Heavier than acrylic and polycarbonate||Heavier than acrylic and glass|
|Impact Resistance||High||Brittle, prone to shattering||High|
|Workability||Easily cut, shaped, and fabricated||Requires specialized tools and processes||Requires specialized tools and processes|
|UV Stability||Requires UV-resistant additives or coatings||Naturally UV-resistant||Requires UV-resistant coatings|
|Cost||Generally more cost-effective||Expensive||Moderately priced|
Please note that this table provides a general comparison and there may be variations in specific characteristics based on the specific product or manufacturer.
Yes, black acrylic sheets can be used for backlit signage or displays. Backlit applications involve placing a light source behind the material to create an illuminated effect. Black acrylic sheets are suitable for such applications because they are opaque and allow light to pass through only in specific areas where desired.
Here are some key points to consider when using black acrylic sheets for backlit signage or displays:
- Light Transmission: Black acrylic sheets are designed to allow light to pass through the areas where they are cut, engraved, or shaped. This makes them suitable for creating intricate designs or logos that can be illuminated from behind.
- Light Diffusion: To achieve even and uniform lighting, it is recommended to use a diffuser panel or film in combination with the black acrylic sheet. The diffuser helps distribute the light evenly across the surface, preventing hotspots and ensuring a smooth and consistent illumination.
- LED Lighting: LED (Light Emitting Diode) lights are commonly used for backlighting acrylic sheets. They are energy-efficient, long-lasting, and offer various color options. LED light strips or panels can be positioned strategically behind the black acrylic sheet to achieve the desired backlighting effect.
- Thickness Considerations: The thickness of the black acrylic sheet can impact the light transmission and diffusion. Thinner sheets may allow more light to pass through, while thicker sheets may require additional measures to ensure optimal light distribution.
- Design and Fabrication: When designing backlit signage or displays with black acrylic sheets, consider the overall layout, placement of graphics or text, and the desired level of illumination. Laser cutting or engraving techniques can be used to create precise and intricate designs on the black acrylic sheet.
By using black acrylic sheets for backlit signage or displays, you can achieve a visually striking and eye-catching effect that enhances the visibility and impact of your message or branding.
Black acrylic sheets are available in a range of thickness options to suit different applications and project requirements. The specific thickness options may vary depending on the manufacturer or supplier, but here are some commonly available thicknesses for black acrylic sheets:
- Thin Sheets: Black acrylic sheets can be found in thin thicknesses ranging from 0.060 inches (1.5mm) to 0.118 inches (3mm). Thin sheets are suitable for applications that require flexibility, such as crafts, model making, or lightweight signage.
- Medium Thickness: Medium thickness black acrylic sheets are typically available in the range of 0.118 inches (3mm) to 0.236 inches (6mm). These sheets offer a good balance of strength and versatility, making them suitable for a wide range of applications, including signage, displays, protective barriers, and architectural elements.
- Thick Sheets: For more robust and heavy-duty applications, thicker black acrylic sheets are available. Common thickness options for thick sheets range from 0.236 inches (6mm) to 4 inches (100mm) or even thicker. Thick black acrylic sheets are suitable for structural applications, furniture, industrial components, and demanding environments where durability is essential.
Yes, black acrylic sheets are available in different finishes to provide varied aesthetics and surface characteristics. The two common finishes for black acrylic sheets are matte and glossy. Here’s a brief description of each finish:
- Matte Finish: Matte black acrylic sheets have a non-reflective surface that diffuses light and reduces glare. The matte finish gives the material a smooth and satin-like appearance, which can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your project. Matte black acrylic sheets are commonly used in applications where a subdued or muted look is desired, such as signage, displays, framing, or decorative elements.
- Glossy Finish: Glossy black acrylic sheets have a shiny and reflective surface that offers a high-gloss, polished appearance. The glossy finish enhances the depth and richness of the black color, creating a sleek and contemporary look. Glossy black acrylic sheets are often chosen for applications where a bold and vibrant visual impact is desired, such as retail displays, product showcases, architectural accents, or high-end signage.
The choice between matte and glossy finish depends on the specific aesthetic preferences and requirements of your project. Consider factors such as lighting conditions, surrounding environment, desired level of reflectivity, and overall design concept to determine which finish will best complement your application.
Yes, black acrylic sheets can be used for laser cutting and engraving. Laser cutting and engraving are popular techniques for creating precise and intricate designs on acrylic sheets, including black acrylic.
Here are some key points to consider when using black acrylic sheets for laser cutting and engraving:
- Material Compatibility: Black acrylic sheets are specifically designed for laser processing. They are made from acrylic polymer, which is suitable for laser cutting and engraving applications. However, it’s essential to ensure that the black acrylic sheet you choose is explicitly labeled as laser compatible to achieve the best results.
- Laser Cutting: Laser cutting allows you to create precise shapes and patterns by using a laser beam to cut through the black acrylic sheet. The laser beam melts and vaporizes the material, resulting in clean and smooth edges. It’s important to optimize the laser settings, such as power, speed, and focus, to achieve the desired cutting quality without causing excessive melting or charring of the material.
- Laser Engraving: Laser engraving involves using a laser beam to remove a thin layer of material from the black acrylic sheet, creating depth and contrast for text, logos, or artwork. The laser beam vaporizes the acrylic surface, resulting in a permanent and precise engraving. Adjusting the laser settings allows you to control the depth and intensity of the engraving.
- Design Considerations: When preparing designs for laser cutting or engraving on black acrylic sheets, it’s important to use vector-based design software, such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. These programs allow you to create precise outlines or paths that the laser can follow. Ensure that your designs are compatible with the laser machine’s file formats, such as SVG, AI, or DXF.
- Safety Precautions: Laser cutting and engraving processes generate heat and smoke, so it’s crucial to follow safety guidelines, such as working in a well-ventilated area or using a fume extraction system. Additionally, wear appropriate protective equipment, such as laser safety glasses, to protect your eyes from the laser beam.
By using black acrylic sheets for laser cutting and engraving, you can create intricate designs, personalized items, signage, displays, and other decorative elements with precision and professional results.
Read more in our blogs about The Ultimate Guide To Laser Engraving Acrylic.
Black acrylic sheets have a moderate resistance to high temperatures, but they do have limitations when it comes to prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures. While they can withstand brief exposure to temperatures around 70-80°C (158-176°F), prolonged exposure to high temperatures can cause the material to soften, warp, or deform.
Here are some key considerations regarding the use of black acrylic sheets in high-temperature applications:
- Temperature Limit: The specific temperature limit for black acrylic sheets may vary depending on the manufacturer or supplier. It’s essential to check the technical specifications provided by the supplier or consult with them directly to determine the maximum temperature the material can withstand without experiencing significant changes in its properties.
- Thermal Expansion: Like most materials, black acrylic sheets expand and contract with changes in temperature. Significant temperature variations can lead to dimensional changes, which may impact the fit and stability of the acrylic sheet in certain applications. It’s important to account for thermal expansion and contraction when designing and installing black acrylic sheets in high-temperature environments.
- Heat Shielding: In applications where black acrylic sheets will be exposed to heat sources or elevated temperatures, additional measures can be taken to protect the material. This may include using heat shields, insulating layers, or creating airflow to dissipate heat and minimize direct contact between the acrylic and the heat source.
- Alternatives for High-Temperature Applications: If your project requires consistent exposure to high temperatures beyond the capabilities of black acrylic sheets, it may be more appropriate to explore alternative materials that offer better heat resistance, such as heat-resistant glass, ceramic, or specialized high-temperature plastics.
It’s crucial to carefully evaluate the specific requirements and limitations of your high-temperature application and consult with experts or suppliers who can provide guidance on selecting the most suitable material. Considering factors such as the duration and intensity of the heat exposure will help determine if black acrylic sheets are appropriate or if an alternative material should be considered.
Cleaning and maintaining black acrylic sheets is relatively straightforward. Here are some recommended steps to keep them clean and in good condition:
- Regular Dusting: Begin by gently removing any loose dust or debris from the surface of the black acrylic sheet. Use a soft, lint-free cloth or a microfiber cloth to avoid scratching the material.
- Mild Soap Solution: Prepare a solution of warm water and a mild, non-abrasive dishwashing soap. Dampen a soft cloth or sponge with the solution and gently wipe the black acrylic sheet in a circular motion. This helps to remove dirt, fingerprints, and light stains. Avoid using harsh chemicals, ammonia-based cleaners, or abrasive materials as they can damage the surface.
- Rinse with Clean Water: After cleaning with the soap solution, rinse the black acrylic sheet thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue. Ensure that all soap is washed away to prevent streaks or residue from forming.
- Drying: Use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth or a microfiber cloth to dry the black acrylic sheet. Gently pat or wipe the surface until it is completely dry. Avoid air-drying to prevent water spots or streaks.
- Polish (Optional): If desired, you can use a specialized acrylic polish or cleaner to restore shine and remove minor scratches. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the polish, and apply it using a soft cloth in a circular motion. Wipe off any excess polish and buff the surface gently to achieve a polished finish.
- Avoid Abrasive Materials: When cleaning black acrylic sheets, never use abrasive materials, rough sponges, or scrub brushes, as they can scratch or dull the surface. Similarly, avoid using harsh chemicals, solvents, or ammonia-based cleaners, as they can cause damage or discoloration.
- Preventive Measures: To maintain the quality of black acrylic sheets, take preventive measures such as using coasters or placemats to protect surfaces from hot objects or sharp utensils. Avoid placing heavy items or applying excessive pressure on the sheets to prevent warping or deformation.
Regular cleaning and maintenance will help keep your black acrylic sheets looking their best. It’s important to follow these guidelines and consult with the manufacturer or supplier for any specific care instructions or recommendations they may have for their particular product.
Yes, black acrylic sheets can be recycled. Acrylic, also known as polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), is a recyclable plastic material. However, the recycling process for acrylic can vary depending on the specific recycling facilities available in your area.
Here are some key points regarding the recycling of black acrylic sheets:
- Check Local Recycling Facilities: Acrylic recycling may not be available in all areas or may be limited to certain types of acrylic products. Check with your local recycling facilities or waste management services to determine if they accept acrylic sheets for recycling and if there are any specific guidelines or requirements.
- Separate from Other Materials: When recycling black acrylic sheets, it’s important to separate them from other materials, such as paper, glass, or metals. This helps ensure that the acrylic can be properly processed and recycled.
- Recycle as Plastic: Black acrylic sheets can typically be recycled as a plastic material. The recycling process involves shredding or grinding the acrylic into small pieces or pellets, which can then be melted and formed into new acrylic products.
- Recycling Symbols: Acrylic products, including black acrylic sheets, often have a resin identification code, typically represented by a recycling symbol with a number. Check for the recycling symbol on the sheets to identify the type of plastic used and consult local recycling guidelines for that specific resin code.
- Recycled Content: In some cases, recycled acrylic may be used to produce new acrylic sheets. These sheets may contain a percentage of recycled content, contributing to sustainable manufacturing practices.
It’s important to note that the availability and processes for acrylic recycling may vary by region. Some areas may have specialized recycling facilities or programs specifically for acrylic, while others may have limited options. Contact your local recycling facilities or waste management services to get the most accurate and up-to-date information on acrylic recycling in your area.
Other Acrylic Material
clear and Colored Acrylic Rod Acrylic rods are solid cylinders made of acrylic which is a lightweight plastic material that has excellent impact strength, widely used in both indoor and outdoor applications . Acrylic rods are available in a range of sizes and diameters in both clear and colored finishes and also in different shapes such…
Acrylic sheets As one of the best Acrylic sheets manufacturer in China , Kusla Plastic offer high-quality, durable, and versatile acrylic sheets for a wide range of applications, such as signage, display, furniture, construction, and more. Whether you need clear, colored, mirrored, or specialty acrylic sheets, we have the right product for you at a…
Clear Round and Square Acrylic Tube Acrylic tube is rigid, lightweight, and hollow. Acrylic tubes are available in a range of diameters and wall thicknesses in clear and coloured finishes. Acrylic plastic tubes are strong yet lightweight and suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications. Clear Acrylic tube Outer Diameter: 3mm – 1500mmThickness:0.5mm – 20mmLength: 1m or…